IMPORTANT: Credit by Exam (CBE) for Acceleration is not available for the following high school courses: Algebra 1, Biology, English 1, English 2 and U.S. History.
Registration Process - To register to take a CBE a student/parent must meet the following criteria:
- The student is currently enrolled in a Pearland ISD school.
- The parent completes the Credit by Exam for Acceleration Registration Form.
- The parent turns the completed registration form in to the campus by the deadline listed above and leaves a $20 deposit for each test requested (check or money order ONLY).
- Once the CBE registration is processed, the parent will receive a confirmation letter from the Pearland ISD Testing Department containing specific testing session information.
Testing Process - There is a morning and afternoon session for each testing day listed above. Each CBE is assigned a specific date and session and cannot be re-scheduled due to testing computer constraints. Following registration for all testing windows, students are mailed a letter that details the testing process, lists the CBE(s) the student registered for, the test date, and testing time.
Day of Testing
- Students must arrive at the testing location fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of each session
- After registration, the students will remain in the testing room until their testing is completed.
- Each exam has a maximum three (3) hour time limit.
- For online only CBE tests, the student is given their score immediately after testing.
- After testing, the student is returned to their parent/guardian until the next testing session starts.
- No lunch or supervision is provided or available to the student between sessions at the testing location.
- Students must be picked up immediately upon completion of their final testing session of the day.
Advancement Process - In order for students to receive a recommendation to advance, the following criteria must be met:
- The student/parent must have completed the Registration Process above.
- The student must score a minimum of eighty (80) percent on each of the four criterion-referenced tests that cover the essential knowledge and skills of the respective grade they wish to skip.
- Students that meet the eighty (80) percent required on all four CBE tests given in Session 1 or Session 2 will not advance to the next grade level until the following school year.
- If you are interested in your student advancing in a single subject in grades 6, 7 or 8, please contact Lisa Nixon at 281-485-3203 for more information.
- The student/parent must complete the Registration Process above.
- A student may earn credit for an academic subject in which the student has received no prior instruction if the student scores:
- A three or higher on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination that was approved by the Board for the applicable course;
- A scaled score of 50 or higher on an examination administered through the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and approved by the Board for the applicable course; or
- Eighty percent or above on a criterion-referenced test that covers the essential knowledge and skills of the respective course they wish to skip.
NCAA NOTE: The Guide for the College-Bound Athlete published by the NCAA states that "Courses complete through credit-by-exam may not be used" to meet core-course requirements. Please refer to the NCAA Publications Website for further information.