Silvercrest students visit the library on an 8-day rotation schedule. Students in second through fourth grades check out two library books. Kindergarten and first grade students check out one book at a time.
In order to keep checking out books, students will need to return any books they checked out previously. The library does not charge late fees. However, students with even one late book will not be allowed to check out another book until the late book is returned, rechecked, or paid for if lost. Students who want to recheck a book should bring the book with them to the library to recheck it for another week.
Our goal is to help our students develop a love of books and reading. In order to do so, we need your help with the following:
- Find a safe place at home to keep library books so they will not get lost or damaged.
- Send library books back to the library to be mended if accidentally damaged.
- Be willing to pay for books that are damaged beyond repair and for books that are lost/misplaced. A student will not be able to check out a new book until the old book is returned or paid for. Refunds will be issued for books returned in good condition before the end of the school year.
- Help protect our books by transporting them home and back to school in a backpack or a plastic bag—especially on rainy days.
- Send library books to school on your child’s library day (*see library tip below).
- Most of all…Read to your child, listen to your child read, talk to him/her about what he/she is reading, and have fun with reading.
Library tip: If your child is having a hard time remembering his/her library day, one idea is for your child to put his/her library book(s) in his/her backpack every day. That way, your child will already have his/her books with them on library day.