My name is Elizabeth Melinder and I am the Health Care Assistant for our Magnolia Mustangs. Here is some important information for you to remember.
Illness - Keeping our children healthy is always a challenge. Please adhere to the following P.I.S.D. guidelines before sending your child to school. We want to minimize the spread of any illnesses at school.
A child cannot be at school with any of the following:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher. Students must be fever free for 24 hours without use of a fever reducer before returning to school.
- Vomiting or diarrhea – Must be free of symptoms for 24 hours
- Any communicable diseases
- Contagious rashes or weeping sores
- Head lice – A child is excluded from school until treated with an appropriate medicated shampoo. Upon returning to school, they must come to the clinic for a head check. It is important to develop a routine at home to check your child for lice.
- Medications - Please give all medications at home when possible. When given at school, all medications must be in the original labeled container or box. Medications given for 10 days and under may have a signed note from parents giving permission for school personnel to administer. Long term medications must have a physician’s authorization form completed. Both of these forms may be obtained at the link below.
- Health Screening - Vision and hearing are screened during the fall for all grade levels. You will be notified if your child needs any further evaluation.
- Immunizations - Students attending public school are required to meet the Texas Minimum State Vaccine Requirements. You will be notified if your child needs any immunizations through out the school year or over the summer. Please make this a top priority if your child needs an immunization and return proof of immunizations to school.
- Emergency Cards – Please notify the school of any changes in information on your child’s emergency card. Often when a child becomes ill at school a parent can not be reached. Make sure your emergency contact numbers stay accurate.
- TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY!!
- Frequent hand washing to reduce the spread of germs
- Good Nutrition - Eat breakfast and follow the food pyramid guidelines
- Get at least 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night
- Drink 6 – 8 glasses of water a day
- Avoid over-scheduling activities – allow for “downtime”
- Build exercise into family routines
- Schedule regular Doctor and Dental visits
If your child has any changes in their health, please let me know. I am here to assist and support you and your child in any way, do not hesitate to call or come to the clinic.
- Elizabeth Melinder