Dawson High School edged out more than 50 competitors to win its first state championship at the University Interscholastic League 4A State Academics Meet in Austin on May 21-22.
The UIL academic meet is conducted like a track meet, with contestants earning points for their school team in different subject areas.
These DHS individual competitors and teams rose to the top in their category:
• Computer Science: 1st place -- Brian Hoang
• Math: 1st place -- Steven Xu
• Math - Team: 2nd place -- Steven Xu, Angela Feng, Jason Liu and Annie Zhang
• Number Sense: 2nd place -- Steven Xu
• Science: 4th place -- Hunter Reagan
• Science - Team: 2nd place -- Hunter Reagan, Richard Paul, Jason Liu and Ben Tran
• Social Studies: 2nd place -- Jordan Todes
• Spelling and Vocabulary: 2nd place -- Jonathan Jackson
• Current Issues: 6th place -- Owais Sarwar
Coaches included Mark Stamp in science, Leslie Sanderson in spelling and current events, Lorraine Chambers in social studies and Nathan Lyson in math, number sense and computer science.
"Each of the 21 students who attended the state meet was important to our efforts. Despite tough competition, we placed top in our class. This achievement shows the quality of academic programs in our school and our district," Sanderson said.