Avoid | Deny | Defend™During an act of violence (e.g. robbery, hostage situation, workplace violence, active shooter):
AVOID starts with your state of mind.
• Pay attention to your surroundings.
• Have an exit plan.
• Move away from the source of the threat as quickly as possible.
• The more distance and barriers between you and the threat, the better.
DENY when getting away is difficult or maybe even impossible.
• Keep distance between you and the source.
• Create barriers to prevent or slow down a threat from getting to you.
• Turn the lights off.
• Remain out of sight and quiet by hiding behind large objects and silence your phone.
DEFEND because you have the right to protect yourself.
• If you cannot Avoid or Deny be prepared to defend yourself.
• Be aggressive and committed to your actions.
• Do not fight fairly. THIS IS ABOUT SURVIVAL.
CALL 911 when you are in a safe area.
When Law Enforcement arrives, SHOW YOUR HANDS AND FOLLOW COMMANDS.
Remember that Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail.