Canvas Beginning Course Checklist - Level 1
* If you are importing last years course best practice is to check the settings listed below after you have imported the course.
** First time users will need to set up the imported Skyward course(s) with the settings described below.
Canvas Beginning Course Checklist Level 1 Instructions for those who prefer a checklist.
TIPS: Remember to PUBLISH your course for student view & Review the Course in Student View.
Open a course
A. Go to Settings in the Course navigation to the Course Details Tab
- You may "Choose Image" for the course(s) card that will display on the dashboard
- Do not set an END date on the course - leave this box blank
- Locate the "Grading Scheme"
- Check the box
- View grading scheme and select the PISD Grading Scheme
- Locate "Visibility" to set the course syllabus to Public. You may post the public syllabus URL link on your teacher webpage.
- Leave the setting to "Course"
- Check the "Customize" box
- Syllabus - select "Public"
- Locate and select "more options"
- When an announcement has been created in the course there is an option to display that announcement on the front page of the course
- Check the box "Show recent announcements on Course home page", best practice is up to 3 announcements to display
- Next, are discussion options for students-if you are beginning with Canvas discussions you may want to check "Let students attach files to discussions" and uncheck the other boxes/you may return to this screen to turn those boxes on later.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and "Update Course Details"
How do I know the dates that my course(s) begins and ends?
B. Go to Settings in the Course navigation to the Sections Tab
- Under Course Sections open each section
- Active Enrollments will be listed
- Completed Enrollments will be listed
- Run dates for this course will be listed for Semester A, Semester B and Year Long courses
C. Go to Settings in the Course navigation to the Navigation Tab
- Set the order of the Course Navigation to Home, Modules & Syllabus, by simply drag and drop the items to reorder
- Add the other navigation buttons as needed
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and SAVE!
D. Go to Settings in the Course navigation to the Feature Options Tab
- Turn on "New Quizzes" - begin using NEW Quizzes from this point forward.
- What is New Quizzes?
- How do I create an assessment using New Quizzes?
- How do I align an outcome to an assessment in New Quizzes?
Canvas Supported Browsers