About Superintendent Dr. John Kelly
Dr. John Kelly has made education his vocation for almost three decades.
Before coming to Pearland ISD in 2011, Dr. Kelly led the Boerne and Pearsall school districts for 20 years. He has also served as a high school principal and taught in the Peace Corps in Southern Africa.
A former U.S. Air Force sergeant, he earned a bachelor’s degree in education and master’s and doctorate degrees in educational administration from Texas A&M University.
Under Dr. Kelly’s leadership, Pearland ISD continues to signify academic excellence and unlimited opportunities for students. Some of these achievements include. . .
- RISE Mentoring connecting students with caring adults
- United for Kids community committee
- GT Academy for grades 5-8
- Dual Language Pilot Program
- Turner College and Career High School
- "A" -rated district in the Texas Education Agency A-F state accountability system ratings
(3rd in Texas among districts with over 10,000 students)
- 760 Advanced Placement Scholars
- 7.5 percent increase in the number of students taking AP exams in the passing scores
- No. 2 district in Houston Metro area (Niche Review Site)
- Top-performing large Houston-area district in 2018 Children at Risk rankings
- 20 finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program
Dr. Kelly and his wife, Janet, have seven children. In addition to spending time with his family, he enjoys playing volleyball, reading biographies and presenting on the life of Abraham Lincoln.