About Superintendent Dr. John Kelly
Dr. John Kelly has made education his vocation for almost three decades.
Before coming to Pearland ISD in 2011, Dr. Kelly led the Boerne and Pearsall school districts for 20 years. He has also served as a high school principal and taught in the Peace Corps in Southern Africa.
A former U.S. Air Force sergeant, he earned a bachelor’s degree in education and master’s and doctorate degrees in educational administration from Texas A&M University.
Under Dr. Kelly’s leadership, Pearland ISD continues to signify academic excellence and unlimited opportunities for students. Some of these achievements include. . .
- RISE Mentoring connecting students with caring adults
- United for Kids community committee
- GT Academy for grades 5-8
- Dual Language Pilot Program
- Turner College and Career High School
- SAT scores constantly climbing (11 points higher this year despite state average decreasing 22 points)
- 421 Advanced Placement Scholars (10 percent increase over 2014)
- No. 3 district in Houston area and No. 17 in Texas (Niche review site)
- Thirty-three dual degree graduates in 2015
Dr. Kelly and his wife, Janet, have seven children. In addition to spending time with his family, he enjoys playing volleyball, reading biographies and presenting on the life of Abraham Lincoln.