AP Spanish Literature and Culture

Phone:

Email:

Degrees and Certifications:

AP Spanish Literature and Culture

Bienvenido a la clase de Español AP 5

The AP Spanish Literature and Culture course uses a thematic approach to introduce students to representative texts (short stories, novels, poetry, and essays) from Peninsular Spanish, Latin American, and United States Hispanic literature. Students develop proficiencies across the full range of communication modes (interpersonal, presentational, and interpretive), thereby honing their critical reading and analytical writing skills. Literature is examined within the context of its time and place, as students reflect on the many voices and cultures present in the required readings. The course also includes a strong focus on cultural connections and comparisons, including exploration of various media (e.g., art, film, articles, literary criticism). (CB)

 

Course Themes:

•  Las sociedades en contacto (Societies in Contact)

•  La constucción del género (The Construction of Gender)

•  El tiempo y el espacio (Time and Space) •  La creación literaria (Literary Creation)

•  Las relaciones interpersonales (Interpersonal Relationships)

•  La dualidad del ser (The Dual Nature of Being)

 

 

AP Exam: Every student is HIGHLY encouraged to take the AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam on Thursday, May 7, 2020, as this course is designed to prepare the students for success on the exam!


 

Exam Content

This three-hour and 10-minute exam consists of a multiple-choice section (Section I) and a free-response section (Section II):
  • Section I contains approximately 65 questions that test literary analysis and reading comprehension of works on the required reading list, as well as works not from the list. It includes questions on literary terminology. Although the passages consist primarily of prose fiction, also included are poetry, drama, essays, and literary criticism.

  • Section II contains three essay questions. All of the questions test literary interpretation and analysis, in addition to skill in writing critical expository prose in Spanish. Each essay is evaluated for content, as well as the degree to which language usage supports that content -- evaluation of content accounts for 70 percent of each essay's score, and evaluation of language usage accounts for the remaining 30 percent. Questions 2 and 3 ask specifically about works on the required list.

    • Essay 1: Poetry Analysis
      An essay analyzing how a given theme is treated in a particular poem. The poem is not from the required reading list, and may or may not be by one of the authors on the list. (The poem is printed in the exam.)

    • Essay 2: Thematic Analysis
      May be one of two different types (only one will appear on any given exam):
      Type A: An essay analyzing how a given theme is treated in a particular work from the required reading list. (At least two works are listed in the exam, from which the candidate must choose one.)
      Type B: An essay analyzing how a given theme and/or topic is treated in two works from the required reading list. (Two or more works are listed in the exam, from which the candidate must choose two).

    • Essay 3: Text Analysis
      May be one of two different types (only one will appear on any given exam):
      Type A: Short answers to two or three open-ended questions about an excerpt from a work on the required reading list. (The excerpt is printed in the exam.)
      Type B: An essay analyzing critical commentary about a particular work from the required reading list. (The critical commentary is printed in the exam.)
Using dictionaries or other reference works during the exam are not allowed. The directions printed inside the exam booklets are in both English and Spanish.