Credit by Examination
The Pearland ISD Testing Department is required to administer Credit by Examination (CBE) for acceleration without prior instruction four times each year. These tests are designed to provide an opportunity for students to receive credit for a grade level or course in which the student has had no prior instruction. The testing windows for this school year are listed below.
Registration Process - To register to take a CBE a student/parent must meet the following criteria:
- The student is currently enrolled in a Pearland ISD school.
- The parent completes the Credit by Exam registration form which can be obtained from the campus counselor.
- The parent turns the completed registration form in to the campus by the deadline listed above and leaves a $25 deposit for each test requested (check or money order ONLY).
- Once the CBE registration is processed, the parent will receive a confirmation letter from the Pearland ISD Testing Department containing specific testing session information.
Testing Process - There is a morning and afternoon session for each testing day listed above. Each CBE is assigned a specific date and session and cannot be re-scheduled due to testing computer constraints. Following registration for all testing windows, students are mailed a letter that details the testing process, lists the CBE(s) the student registered for, the test date, and testing time.
Day of Testing
- Students must arrive at the testing location fifteen (15) minutes prior to the start of each session
- After registration, the students will remain in the testing room until their testing is completed.
- Each exam has a maximum three (3) hour time limit.
- For online only CBE tests, the student is given their score immediately after testing.
- After testing, the student is returned to their parent/guardian until the next testing session starts.
- No lunch or supervision is provided or available to the student between sessions at the testing location.
- Students must be picked up immediately upon completion of their final testing session of the day.
Advancement Process - In order for students to receive a recommendation to advance, the following criteria must be met:
- The student/parent must have completed the Registration Process above.
- The student must score a minimum of eighty (80) percent on each of the four criterion-referenced tests that cover the essential knowledge and skills of the respective grade they wish to skip.
- Students that meet the eighty (80) percent required on all four CBE tests given in Session 1 or Session 2 will not advance to the next grade level until the following school year.
- If you are interested in your student advancing in a single subject in grades 6, 7 or 8, please contact Ellen Akers at 281-485-3203 for more information.
- The student/parent must complete the Registration Process above.
- A student may earn credit for an academic subject in which the student has received no prior instruction if the student scores:
- A three or higher on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination that was approved by the Board for the applicable course;
- A scaled score of 50 or higher on an examination administered through the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and approved by the Board for the applicable course; or
- Eighty percent or above on a criterion-referenced test that covers the essential knowledge and skills of the respective course they wish to skip.
NCAA NOTE: The Guide for the College-Bound Athlete published by the NCAA states that "Courses complete through credit-by-exam may not be used" to meet core-course requirements. Please refer to the NCAA Publications Website for further information.