Bienvenido a la Clase de Español Avanzado:
Lenguaje y Cultura
This AP Spanish Language and Culture course is conducted primarily in Spanish with authentic materials form the Spanish-speaking world, and it is equivalent to a third year college course in Advanced Spanish writing and conversation. This course is designed to provide students with various opportunities to further improve their proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills to be ready for the AP Spanish Language and Culture Examination.
The instructional philosophy of this course includes the integration of the four required language skills that are critical to the successful usage of Spanish: reading, writing, speaking, and listening. The general flow of each week’s work comprises of vocabulary, grammar structure, literary analysis, application of passive and active vocabulary, supplementary reading, and finally, writing assignments and tests. Students should be able to achieve the following objectives:
- To continue to develop communicative competence in listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
- To be able to understand the textbook lessons and supplementary materials and participate in discussions using the Spanish language.
- To be able to use the knowledge gained through course materials to develop critical thinking and writing skills to compose essays in Spanish on given topics.
- To be able to use the Spanish language to communicate effectively both in the school setting and in real-life situations.
- To be able to use Spanish as they seek clarifications through the use of communication and language learning strategies that are running elements of the course.
- To be able to carry on a conversation or a discussion with other students in class.
The AP Spanish Language and Culture class will be conducted exclusively in Spanish. Students are required to speak Spanish as much as possible in the classroom and in Skype sessions. Students are also expected to read and write essays in Spanish on a weekly basis.