Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Foster Care


In an effort to provide educational stability, the district strives to assist any student who is currently placed or newly placed in foster care (temporary or permanent custody of the state) with the enrollment and registration process, as well as other educational services. A student who is placed in foster care or the conservatorship of the State and who is moved outside of the district’s attendance boundaries is entitled to continue in enrollment at the school he or she was attending prior to the placement until the student reaches the highest grade level at the particular school. In addition, if a student in grade 11 or 12 is transferred to another district and does not meet the graduation requirements of the transferring district, the student can request to receive a diploma from the previous district if he or she meets the criteria to graduate from the previous district.

Most students who “age out” of foster care, were adopted or in relative/non-relative care with the Department of Children and Families are eligible for free tuition and fees to any Texas state university or college. More than one billion dollars of federal benefits go unclaimed each year. If you are a current or former foster student, find out if you qualify for financial benefits and services by speaking to your counselor and applying for the appropriate grants and scholarships, as well as speaking to your PAL.

Please contact Dr. Chenda Moore the foster care liaison, at 281-485-3203 with any questions.

Foster Care Resources