When possible, all medication should be given at home. However, some medication will be dispensed at school according to the following guidelines:
- Written permission and specific directions for administration of medication are required. Directions must include student’s name, date, name of medication, dosage, route of administration, and time to be administered.
- A physician’s authorization form must be signed by the physician or dentist and parent if a medication is to be administered for longer than 10 consecutive days.
- Over-the–counter medication and other prescription medication may be administered for a period of no longer than ten (10) days, provided signed permission has been provided by the parent or guardian.
- All medication must be provided by the parent in the original container.
- Medication must not be expired.
- All medication must be brought to the clinic by the parent or designated adult upon arrival to school.
- The student may not carry or administer any medication to himself/herself. However, Texas law permits students to carry and self-administer prescription asthma or anaphylaxis emergency medications if certain criteria are met. The authorization form for "Student Self-Administration of Asthma or Anaphylaxis Medications" must be on file.
- The School Nurse or healthcare assistant will supervise storage and dispensing of medication.
- If the medication is new to the student, the first dose of the medication must be given at home.
- Pearland ISD uses the Texas Department of State Health Services guidelines for medication administration found at the following link: Guide to Medication Administration in the School Setting
- Medication Administration Authorization Form
- Medication Administration Authorization Form SPANISH
- Student Self-Administration of Asthma or Anaphylaxis Emergency Medication Permission Form and Contract
Field Trip Medication Procedures & Overnight Trip Medication Forms
- Field Trip & Overnight Trip Medication Administration Procedures
- Overnight Trip Medication Authorization for Administration by District Staff
- Overnight Trip (7th - 12th grade) Student Self-Administration Medication Authorization
- Agreement for Self-Administered Medications on Overnight Trips (*7th-12th grade only)