State-Mandated Screening Information
Pearland ISD's Health Screening Program follows Texas law:
*Vision and Hearing Screenings
occur in pre-K, kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th grades and for newly enrolled students.
*Acanthosis Nigricans (AN)
is screened in 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th grades.
Brochure: Acanthosis Nigicans Information
In compliance with Health and Safety Code, Chapter 37, all children shall undergo screening for abnormal spinal curvature in accordance with the following schedule:
- Girls will be screened two times, once at age 10 (or fall semester of grade 5) and again at age 12 (or fall semester of grade 7).
- Boys will be screened one time at age 13 or 14 (or fall semester of grade 8).
- Campus nurses will check your child for signs of spinal problems like scoliosis.
- Catching a spinal problem early can make the treatment much easier. Not treating spinal problems can lead to serious health problems.
- The screening is simple. Campus nurses will look at your child's back while he or she stands and bends forward.
- Boys and girls will be screened separately.
- The school will send you a letter if your child does not pass the screening. The letter will advise you to follow up with a doctor.
- This screening is not a medical exam. Your child still needs to see a doctor for checkups.
- If you do not wish to have your child screened for religious reasons, you must submit an exemption to the school.
Brochure: Watch out for Scoliosis
*Parents are notified of screening results only if follow-up is required. For more information on Pearland ISD's screening program, contact the clinic at your child's school.