Welcome to Ovation Theatre!
Ovation Theatre at Dawson High School has a proud history of accomplishments. It is our responsibility to build upon these successes and set higher standards for this year and for the future. We are privileged to have parents, teachers, administration, and a school board who are committed to having a quality theatre education program in Pearland ISD.
Our educational goals are to develop competent theatre performers, promote theatre appreciation, enhance the development of responsibility as a citizen, and foster good self-discipline in members of the Ovation Theatre program.
Office Phone: 281-412-8827
Students may schedule tutoring sessions with Mr. Grimmett via Microsoft Teams as needed. Open tutoring sessions will be held on Thursdays from 12:22-12:52 via Microsoft Teams.
Conferences between the teacher and parents may be scheduled at any time. Phone conferences may be scheduled via e-mail -- please include your most convenient time for a phone call upon your request. Responses to voicemail, e-mail and conference requests will be made within 24 hours of the official request or the following Monday if the request is made on Friday after 12:00pm.
Phone: (281) 412-8827
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Music, University of Houston Master of Fine Arts, New York University Certificate in Non-Profit Management, Molloy College Teaching certification in Music (EC-12), Theatre (EC-12), Art (EC-12), and English Language Arts & Reading (7-12) Pearland ISD Aspiring Administrators Academy (2018-2019) Dawson HS Teacher of the Year, Pearland ISD Secondary Teacher of the Year, Region 4 Teacher of the Year Finalist (2019-2020) TxETA K-12 Committee, High School Member At-Large (2021 & 2022) ADDITIONAL DUTIES: District 23-6A UIL OAP Chair District UIL Jr. High OAP Coordinator District Theatre Curriculum Committee Chair Campus Character Strong Team Member
JOHN GRIMMETT is a composer, writer, and director.
A graduate of the Moores School of Music at the University of Houston where he studied playwriting with Edward Albee, he completed graduate studies at the Graduate Musical Theatre Writing Program at New York University. Since 2010, his work has been performed internationally by the Washington National Opera, Fort Worth Opera, and Houston Grand Opera, as well as at universities and conservatory training programs at the University of Houston, New York University, and Indiana University, among many others. Additionally, his work has been published by G. Schirmer and recorded by Angels Share Records. In 2015, he was the runner-up for the American Prize in Composition (Opera, Theater, and Film Division).
Now entering his sixth year in Pearland ISD, Mr. Grimmett leads Ovation Theatre at Dawson High School as the Head Theatre Director where he co-directs and designs all mainstage theatre productions as well as leads the curricular and programmatic vision for the department. In his time at Dawson, Mr. Grimmett helped form the school’s first International Thespian Society Troupe (#8922) with over 45 charter members. Recent student achievements include six National Qualifying students in the category of solo musical performance and a State Semi-Finalist Improv Troupe at the 2019 Texas Thespians Festival. He has also launched a new works festival where students produce their own short plays and mentored the first UIL Theatrical Design State Qualifier in the school’s history. In 2019-2020, he was named the Glenda Dawson High School Teacher of the Year and the Pearland ISD Secondary Teacher of the Year, as well as being named one of five finalists for Region IV Teacher of the Year.
A proud member of the Educational Theatre Association, Texas Educational Theatre Association, and the Dramatists Guild of America, Mr. Grimmett is also the owner and director of TWO CHAIRS AND A LIGHTBULB, a production and licensing company that provides individual training to young actors, directors, playwrights, and designers and support to fine arts educators.
CONFERENCES, LECTURES, AND PANEL DISCUSSIONS
- “Beyond the Smoke & Mirrors: Techniques for Cohesive and Conceptual Storytelling.” TxETA TheatreFest Master Teacher Presenter. September 2020.
- Playwriting Workshop. Greater Houston Puppetry Guild. August 2020.
- Guest, Minor Wisdom Podcast. July 2020.
- Playwriting Workshop for Educators. Two Chairs and a Lightbulb. June 2020.
- “Careers in Composition: Freshman Seminar.” University of Houston. October 2019.
- “Careers in Composition: Freshman Seminar.” University of Houston. October 2018.
- Scene to Song Podcast, Episode 7: The Opera Libretto vs. the Book in Musical Theater. September 2018.
- “Careers in Composition: Freshman Seminar.” University of Houston. November 2017.
- Guest artist and speaker. MTNA National Conference, Baltimore, MD. March 2017.
- Master class for student composers. University of Houston. February 2017.
- Keynote speaker, Moores Society Gala. January 2017.
- “Are Your Students Ready for High School Theatre?” TxETA TheatreFest. January 2017.
- Master class with Jake Heggie. University of Houston. December 2016.
- “Remembering Edward Albee.” University of Houston. November 2016.
- “Careers in Composition: Freshman Seminar.” University of Houston. November 2016.
- “Creating Original Music for UIL One Act Play.” TxETA TheatreFest. January 2016.
- “Careers in Composition: Freshman Seminar.” University of Houston. December 2015.
- Master class for MFA Playwriting students. Indiana University. April 2015.
- Master class for BFA Musical Theatre students. Indiana University. April 2015.
- “Entrepreneurship and the artist.” New York University. May 2014.
- Student Speaker, NYU Tisch School of the Arts Commencement. May 2013.
- “Odette and social responsibility in art.” The City College of New York. May 2012.
- “A conversation with Edward Albee.” New York University. March 2012.