International Baccalaureate - Primary Years Programme
The Pearland ISD school board determined Massey Ranch Elementary will no longer continue the partnership with the International Baccalaureate Organization beginning in August 2022 due to the following reasons:
- The need to address the student learning gaps caused by COVID-19 and the high mobility rate among Massey Ranch students;
- Pearland ISD offers no continuation in the IB Programme for the Middle Years Programme and the Diploma Programme;
- The annual recurring cost to maintain the IB Primary Years Programme has significantly increased throughout the years.
With the discontinuation of the IB Programme at Massey Ranch, students will no longer participate in the current weekly 45 minutes of Spanish instruction.
We are confident that students and parents will continue to receive the same quality of education and services they have become accustomed to at Massey Ranch. The skills and powerful teaching strategies acquired by our teachers through IB training the past few years will continue to guide their academic instruction, equipping students for success.
What is the International Baccalaureate® and the Primary Years Programme (PYP)?
The goal of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme is to develop learners who become inquirers, thinkers, communicators, and risk-takers who are knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded and well-balanced.
A structured Inquiry Approach to learning is the basis of the program, whereby students learn to ask and formulate answers to meaningful questions. Teams of teachers develop Units of Inquiry that provide significant, relevant, and challenging learning experiences across the curriculum. Community service opportunities and activities promote caring and responsible attitudes among students.
How are students assessed?
Teachers assess students by selecting or designing methods of assessment appropriate to the learning outcomes they intend to capture.
Teachers also take into account the diverse, complicated and sophisticated ways that individual students use to develop and demonstrate their understanding.
The prime objective of assessing students’ learning and performance is to give feedback to:
- students—to encourage the start of lifelong learning
- teachers—to support their reflection on what to teach and how to teach it
- Parents—to highlight their child’s learning and development.