The mission of the Army Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) program is to motivate young people to be better citizens. At Pearland High School, the JROTC is designated as an Honor Unit with Distinction. JROTC provides a quality citizenship, character and leadership development program while fostering partnerships with communities and educational institutions. The Drill Team, Rifle Team, Color Guard and the Raider Team are JROTC-sponsored extracurricular activities open to all cadets. PHS cadets also have the opportunity to attend JROTC Summer Camp. There is no obligation for JROTC cadets to enter the military.
Cadets who complete JROTC enjoy several benefits beyond high school including the opportunity to compete for ROTC four-year scholarship to college; competitive appointments to West Point, Annapolis and the Air Force Academy (in addition to the regular congressional and presidential appointments); advanced placement in senior ROTC in many colleges and for those who choose to enlist in military service, a higher rank than other enlistees.
Army JROTC teaches cadets to:
- Maximize potential for success through learning and self-manegement.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Incorporate principles of mental and physical wellness into behaviors and decisions.
- Build effective relationships with peers, co-workers, and the community.
- Apply physical and political geography to building global awareness.
- Correlate the rights and responsibilities of citizenship to the purposes of the U.S. government.
- Relate events in U.S. history to choices and responsibilities Americans have today.
- Characterize the role of the military and other national service organizations in building a democracy and maintaining peace in a democratic society.
- Selfless service
- Personal courage
JROTC Program Values
- Student achievement
- Personal and social responsibility
- Selfless service to community and others
- American heritage and history
Sgt. Major Bruce Grant (R)
August 17, 2020
August 18, 2020
August 19, 2020
August 20, 2020
August 21, 2020