Degrees and Certifications:
- MBA, (Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA) - BS, Mechanical Engineering (University of Texas, Austin, TX) - BA, Latin American Studies and Spanish (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) - Professional Engineer: California License #M-26793 - Certification: Technical Education 6-12 and English as a Second Language (Supplement)
Hello! My name is Karen Hooper and I am excited for our upcoming 2021-2022 school year. I joined the Turner Rail Cat family last year after more than thirty-five years working as an engineer & manager in the engineering and construction industry. I enjoyed my first year teaching and loved working with students as we explored a broad range of engineering topics.
I am a degreed Mechanical Engineering and am a licensed professional engineer (California). Most of my career focused on international project development for mega projects. More than half of my career was dedicated to oil, gas and chemicals, but I had many diverse assignments including automotive, food, pharmaceutical, mining, aerospace, power, biomass, environmental, transportation, water, etc.The two classes I teach year are Project Lead The Way (PLTW) courses:
- PLTW - Civil Engineering and Architecture - 5th and 8th periods
- PLTW - Engineering Science - 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th periods
- Mondays - Thursdays: 10:25 – 11:55
- Friday – 11:30 – 12:15
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays: 2:40 - 3:15 pm*
- If students are present and working - tutorials will continue until *4:00 pm.
- Students must attend in person if you end your day at THS; Traveling students that end their day at PHS or DHS may attend via TEAMS / PLTW Tutorials.
- Pre-arranged: Any mutually agreed time that may include before school, after school, lunch / CCT time or evenings / weekends via TEAMS.
Parent's Night - 2021:
I have the distinction, privilege and honor of working with your students this year. I was looking forward to meeting many of you at our Back-to-School night, but unfortunately, we will not be meeting face-to-face at this time. Although the attached video will not take place of an in-person visit to our Turner Railcat Engineering Classroom, I have tried to provide an oversight of the two engineering classes I teach in the attached video. Please know that I try to respond to all parents that contact me - so if you have any questions about the class or your student, please send reach out to me.
Sincerely, Karen Hooper