Degrees and Certifications:
- MBA, (Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA) - BS, Mechanical Engineering (University of Texas, Austin, TX) - BA, Latin American Studies and Spanish (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) - Professional Engineer: California License #M-26793 - Certification: Technical Education 6-12 and English as a Second Language (Supplement)
Hello! My name is Karen Hooper and I am excited for our upcoming 2022-2023 school year. I joined the Turner Rail Cat family at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year after more than thirty-five years working as an engineer & manager in the engineering and construction industry. I enjoy teaching and love working with students as we explore a broad range of engineering topics.
I am a degreed Mechanical Engineering and am a licensed Professional Engineer (California License #M26793). Most of my career focused on international project development for mega projects. More than half of my career was dedicated to oil, gas and chemicals, but I had many diverse assignments including automotive, food, pharmaceutical, mining, aerospace, power, biomass, environmental, transportation, water, etc.The two classes I am teaching this year are both Project Lead The Way (PLTW) courses:
- PLTW - Civil Engineering and Architecture - 5th and 8th periods
- PLTW - Engineering Science - 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th periods
- Mondays - Thursdays: 10:25 – 11:55
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays: 2:35 - 3:05 pm*
- If students are present and working, tutorials will continue until *4:00 pm.
- Students must attend in person if you end your day at THS; Traveling students that end their day at PHS or DHS may attend via TEAMS / PLTW Tutorials.
- Thursdays during Mega-Lunch
- Pre-arranged: Any mutually agreed time that may include before school, after school, lunch / CCT time or evenings / weekends via TEAMS.
I appreciate all the support from parents, students and friends in keeping our PLTW Engineering Classrooms supplied. For those of you who have asked and offered to help with supplies, I have posted a list on this home page titled "PLTW Supply Wish List". (see tab on left) I will try to keep the list updated as our classroom needs change.
My students and I appreciate all of your support that helps keep our classroom organized and well stocked!!