Registration for Highly Gifted Math Qualifying Tests
It is the goal of Pearland ISD to provide an academically rigorous curriculum for each student. The registration form should be completed by parents who feel that their child is highly gifted in mathematics and quantitative reasoning and needs a class that is designed specifically for students who have exceptional abilities in mathematics.
- All registration forms must be completed electronically and received in the Advanced Academics office no later than 3:00pm on July 8, 2019.
- All assessments will be at the Virgil Gant Education Service Center, 1928 N. Main, Pearland, TX, 77581.
- There is no cost for the test.
- Students need only attend one testing session.
Students must meet all criteria for entering and remaining in Highly Gifted Math
- All students entering 5th grade in the fall of 2019 at Sablatura Middle School.
- All students must score at the Mastery level on the 2019 4th grade Math STAAR test and meet two of the following criteria:
- Score 98% or higher on a nationally normed math portion of an achievement test for 5th grade skills, such as the California Achievement Test, Iowa Test of Basic Skills, or Stanford Achievement Test.
- Score a Standard Age Score in Quantitative Reasoning of 145 or above on a nationally normed test such as the Stanford-Binet, WISC-V, or Cognitive Abilities Test.
- Score 90% or higher on the district creative thinking performance task.
- Score 80% or higher on the district 5th grade problem solving and process test for Highly Gifted:
- Students must solve the problem for accuracy.
- In written form, students must clearly articulate an economic process by which they derived a correct solution.
- All students must maintain an average of 85 or higher to remain in Highly Gifted Math.
- All students must requalify each year to remain in the Highly Gifted Math pathway.
- Example of the proposed course sequence for Highly Gifted Math is provided below.
Please click on the link below to complete the registration form.
All registration forms must be completed electronically and received in the Advanced Academics office no later than 3:00pm on July 8, 2019.
HGM Registration Form (Registration is Now Closed)