Food benefits available to qualifying families of enrolled students
Enrolled students (up to 21 years of age) in families that temporarily lost access to free or reduced-price school meals for the 2020–21 school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible to receive Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT). P-EBT benefits can be used to buy food from any retailer that accepts the Lone Star Card.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA), Texas Department of Agriculture and Texas Health and Human Services request that schools attempt to contact eligible families before the application opens June 2, 2021. Thank you for your assistance with the P-EBT program. We appreciate all the work you do to help make sure Texas families have access to food during this time.
To apply, go to yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT (application link is case-sensitive). The application opens Wednesday, June 2 and deadline to apply is Aug. 13.
Who is Eligible?
- Students who are certified for free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
- Students who attend a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2 (P2) school that offers free meals to all students.
- Children born after Aug. 1, 2014, in families who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between October 2020 and June 2021.
Who Needs to Apply?
- A parent/guardian must apply if eligible student is:
- Enrolled in K-12 and NOT part of a family who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between August 2020 and June 2021.
- Born on or before Aug. 1, 2014, and is part of a family who received SNAP benefits for the first time during the 2020–2021 school year in May or June 2021.
- A parent/guardian does not have to apply if eligible student or child is:
- Born on or before Aug. 1, 2014, and is part of a family who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between August 2020 and April 2021.
- Born after Aug. 1, 2014, and is part of a family who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between October 2020 and June 2021.
For more information about eligibility, applying and getting your P-EBT benefits, visit hhs.texas.gov/pebt, or call the P-EBT Call Center at 833-442-1255, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Central time.