The Pearland Independent School District has made changes and updated the student dress code for the 2019-20 school year.
Beginning April 1, a diverse committee comprised of principals, educators and parents met multiple times to evaluate the Pearland ISD dress code and provide recommendations for updates. This annual review of the dress code includes looking at dress codes from area districts. The committee and administration sought to simplify the current dress code, provide more versatility, and identify and remove any perceived racial, cultural and religious insensitivities.
A summary of the major changes to the dress code are as follows:
- Blouses, shirts and dresses may be solid or multi-colored, and include stripes, plaids or multi-prints
- Campus/district spirit shirts may include college or professional sports teams
- Jeans may be distressed, but not to the extent that skin is showing
- Restrictions on hair styles and carvings have been removed; yet, distracting colors remain prohibited
- Head coverings such as hats, caps, bandanas, or hair rollers are not allowed (An exception will be made for religious headwear)
The complete 2019-20 dress code may be found at www.pearlandisd.org/dresscode.