What exactly does open enrollment mean?
Open enrollment allows for any student who wishes to take on the challenge of an Advanced, PreAP, or AP course to do so. There is no limit to the number of advanced courses a student can take in a semester/year, however it is important to make note of the differences in curricula requirements and expectations in order to be successful:
- Adv/PreAP/AP curricula are above grade level.
- Students should be independent learners as instruction is fast paced, in-depth, complex, and abstract.
- Students should understand that much of the work is done outside of class.
- An A or B in the subject area indicates that the student has the academic ability and the task commitment to succeed.
- Once enrolled, students must remain in the course for six weeks before a schedule change is considered.
- If a schedule change takes place, grades/averages from the PreAP/AP course move with students to the new class.