Additional District Accepted Excused Absences
- Family emergency such as death in the family, hospitalizations, and other such emergencies.
- Illness Medical Note- The student has a temporary and remediable physical or mental condition that renders attendance infeasible and the student has a certificate from a qualified physician that specifies the condition, indicates the prescribed treatment, and covers the anticipated time of absence needed for receiving and recuperating from remedial treatment.
- Illness Parent Note- For the health and safety of the child and to establish situations in which absences may be classified as one for which there are extenuating circumstances, a limited amount of parent notes will be accepted. The following guidelines will be used:
- Jr. High and High School- No more than 5 parent illness notes per semester.
- Middle and Elementary- No more than 10 parent illness notes per year.
- Illnesses that extend beyond five (5) consecutive days will require a doctor's note verifying the illness or condition that caused the student’s extended absence from school. Otherwise, the student’s absence may be considered unexcused and, if so, would be considered to be in violation of compulsory attendance laws.
- Should the student develop a questionable pattern of absences, the principal or attendance committee may require a statement from a doctor or health clinic verifying the illness or condition that caused the student’s absence from school in order to determine whether the absence or absences will be excused or unexcused. The principal or attendance committee may also require a note from a doctor or health clinic verifying illness after a single day’s absence. See policy FEC (LOCAL).
- For students who have a documented acute or chronic illness, the above requirement may be adjusted as needed through Section 504 or Special Education Services. If a condition is lasting a minimum of four weeks, the student may be eligible for homebound services at the parent’s request and additional physician’s documentation.
- Administrator Excused- Seldom used; Limited number of days; Only for rare and special occasions that cannot otherwise be avoided during school time.